I went for coffee and dinner
with a friend one night in January to give my roommate some time alone.
Kathleen began helping me with my resume. While drinking
delicious hot chocolate from Caribou Coffee, Kathleen mentioned her cousin
attending a job fair for international teaching. (picture Meghan screeching to
a halt) “WHAT!?”
| Kathleen |
I frantically began
researching the UNI International Teacher Job Fair – UNI yep that is the
University of Northern Iowa (the middle of nowhere Iowa). It was Tuesday January 10th. The deadline for all materials, transcripts,
and letters of recommendation to be received by the fair was Friday January 13th. I thought there is no way this is going to work out and I can finally teach in
another country. I called 3 –
very busy – people (Heather Smith, Brian Chelmecki, and Ann Tysiak) and asked for letters of recommendation within the next two
days. I dug in my files (under the bed, in the closet, bottom
drawer of her desk) and finally found copies of my teaching
certification. Then I finally sat down
and wrote a statement of why I have always wanted to teach in the international
community. All of these steps were
actually completed before 7pm on Friday evening. Holy
Crap, I thought, this might really happen.
Two weeks later, I received a
packet, as large as a telephone book, of schools attending the fair and some
general information about them. Within
the packet were also a few articles about how to prepare for the fair and what
to expect. After reading the first few
articles, I called my parents, as the articles stated job offers
are often proposed during this weekend, I spoke with my mom and explained a little of the process. Her
response was finally. I laughed and told her how I didn't really think anything would come of this but just in case I should give you a heads up. Mom then passed the
phone to Dad and the conversation was repeated with the additional comment
of I can stay with you wherever you go
though, right?
I had already booked my hotel accommodations - in the middle of
nowhere Iowa, but as it is a very long day at work and then a 5 hour drive to Waterloo I was going to carpool with another fair attendee. That attendee called me on Wednesday night
to let me know they had been offered an accepted a position in Indonesia and
were no longer attending the fair.
I thought very hard about this as I knew there was no way I could get everything ready Wednesday night, get enough sleep, work all day Thursday, drive 5 hours to Iowa, and then be ready for job interviews Friday morning. It started sinking in that I would
probably not be able to attend the fair. I decided to send a quick message to a friend and see what happened. I continued packing and planning for
Friday’s lessons just in case. Jessica got back to me and said she was going out with friends Thursday night but was available for the weekend. I pounced and began bribing Jessica with baked goods,
massage services, money, and hugs. The
hugs won her over and Jessica agreed to get in a car with a sleep deprived
Meghan on Thursday evening and drive the 5 hours to Waterloo Iowa and spend the
weekend hanging out while Meghan attended interviews. I thought again, wow this might still happen.
During the weeks, and very little
free time, leading up to the fair, I sent my resume out to schools I thought about working with. Upon arriving in
Waterloo at the hotel for the night, I listened to a voicemail I had received during the drive. It was a school from
Dubai, UAE and they were asking me to please visit them in the morning as they
were greatly interested in me as a candidate and my qualifications in special
education. Finally, after 3
weeks, I started thinking about actually taking a job in another country.
Jessica was a huge help with the excitement and anxiety which ensued.
Oh wow, I might have options!! was what I was thinking - when I finally figured out the fair set-up- when I had 7 messages from different schools in my "mailbox" asking me to come see them during the fair to set up an interview. After reading the messages and developing a strategic plan for getting to each table, I met up with Catherine (Kathleen's cousin) and we went to a speaker series which opened the job fair. A man got up and informed everyone he had given his parents his dog and his car and told them he would be back in a year, 30 years later he is now the principal of the American School in Mexico. He started in the international teaching community and never left. I turned to Catherine and said oh gosh, that is going to be me.
| Andrea |
I met with different schools
for actual interviews for the next 6 hours.
Each time I met with Andrea we talked so much we needed to end the
interview to go to our next ones.
I continued to meet with administrators from Escola
Americana de Brasilia in person and via Skype. I loved it. The more I learned
about the school the more it seemed to be a really good fit.
EAB let me know I was
their top choice, but they moved slower than other schools to make sure the fit was right. I headed home on Sunday having told the other schools
I would not be taking their offers.
I had an additional interview Sunday night via Skype with the
principal of the high school, Derrick.
Our thoughts aligned and our expectations of the position were
awesome. It was a great conversation and
we ended about 8pm (12am in Brasilia) and were both excited for me to
take the position at EAB.
| Derrick |
| Barry |
I went in the next day and asked
for a meeting with my director then spent the morning anxiously awaiting the
meeting. When I went in for the meeting, I brought up leaving Garcia
next year as I was hoping to be living in Brazil. Josie was stunned but receptive and
supportive. She told me of course she would talk to Barry about my qualifications. Yay! The conversation
was emotional but good and I got excited again.
Peggy, Joe, Sarah, and Joe (aunt, cousin, and significant others) came
into town and I was super paranoid, so I didn’t share the news about
what was going on. (Sarah was not happy about that later) There was no new info
for a while.
Barry and Josie spoke that week and
Barry called me on Thursday to offer me the position of Learning Support
Specialist at The American School of Brasilia. Woohoo! I said yes and Barry let me know someone would be in
contact to start the VISA process.
I went back to the students
I was tutoring and finished up work for the day. I called my parents
and siblings on the way home to let them know I was accepting a new position
and moving to Brazil. Tania asked if she
could go with me. Danny told me to make sure there was room for him to move
in to my place. The school will be providing a 2 bedroom furnished apartment
for me.
So coffee (hot chocolate for me) and Northern Iowa is where my journey began.
No comments:
Post a Comment