Breakfast at my apartment - Sucrilhos (known in the US as Frosted Flakes). Then headed to school to organize my classroom
This is my classroom. I have 11 desks so far.
This is an eclectic mix of things left for me by Kathy!
MUCH APPRECIATED!!
| My Desk |
After working in my classroom for awhile, we headed out to the Federal Police to do some paperwork and have them register our fingerprints.
There was a line at the Federal Police Station (in the airport) and Clarissa and Mark offered to wait while the rest of us went to find some food. It was lunchtime.
Kenya talking and explaining what she was going to order.
Kristi and Emily ordered Capresi sandwiches. This is what came out. Looks amazing but not quite what was expected.
I ordered a ham and cheese sandwich. I forgot to take a picture until halfway through.
As you can see, I didn't really like it!
| Our server. He was great |
My dessert (minha sobremesa)
Cheesecake with guava
Sobremasa de Kenya. Chocolate ice cream (sorvete)
We finished up our food and hurried down to the Federal Police. Clarissa had just been called in and Mark was still waiting. After about 10 minutes, Mark was called in and Charliston went with him. Kenya came back and we sat for about 3 minutes when Clarissa came out and was all done. I followed a lady back, Charliston handed her my information, and she asked me some questions - in Portuguese - and I tried to answer them. After a little effort, she began typing information into the computer and I would verify it. She finished with me very quickly and sent me to get fingerprinted. I followed Anna into a little room and we spoke in Portuguese to say hi. She decided I understood Portuguese and began talking to me. I interrupted with my favorite phrase - "Eu não falo Portuguese"
We attempted a bit more in Portuguese then she just smiled at me and motioned for my hands. Kenya joined us about now and was waiting for her turn with Anna. Kenya is a native Spanish speaker. Anna and Kenya began speaking and doing really well. I understood every couple of words or so, but got the gist.
I was done with the fingerprinting very quickly and went out of the office to make room for new people coming in.
After everyone was done, we headed back to school.
I continued to work in my classroom and at about 4:30 Kenya reminded me we were all meeting at Libanhaus. Kenya, Clarissa, and I walked over to Libanhaus and met up with Liz there. We joined tables together and started the Friday night "work is done for the week" party!!
Clarissa trying to avoid the camera
Danielle trying to avoid the camera....
Mark ignoring the camera
Liz encouraging more pictures with the camera.
| The Gang |
Sabrina and Katie
Clarissa and Kristi
My dinner. Kibe Libanhaus. Some type or Arabic meat and fries.
Kenya eating the kibe too.
Beth ordered Smirnoff - REALLY??? I guess she has been here long enough she can order non Brasilian beverages.
Mark ordered Meat and Cheese.
Emily with her Esfirra de frango - it's pretty good!
Ashleigh drinking her cerveja
Liz, Joao, and Giulano
Ashleigh and her pizza.
The waiter wanted to show us what was in Danielle's drink.
Liz being anti-social
What was left of Ashleigh's pizza.
What we were able to see of the Opening Ceremony of the Olympics.
Kenya was getting hit on by guys at the table over - one bought her this movie.
Joao brought us a beverage to try so we passed it around the table.
You can tell by our faces how much we enjoyed it....
Clarissa
......
Kristi.....
Sabrina.........
Katie is saying no too....
Joao decides to have us try a different liquor.
What do you say Ashleigh......?
Emily?......
A third drink?????
Wait a minute??? Is it clear or white???
Giulano, you do first.
Alright, I'll try it.
hmmmm tastes like black licorice
Emily is going for it.
Liz is definitely willing to drink some.
SOBREMESA!!!!
Eu gusto sobremesa
I like dessert.
Sorvete de murango
Strawberry ice cream.
Random guy walking through the bar selling jewelry.
Cheers to our first week in Brasil!!!
Salute!
Joao brought us a bottle to drink the next time we were all together!
We left after the Opening Ceremony ended.
We cheered for Brasil and we were the only ones in the bar who did. Liz said, "What are you doing? It's not the World Cup!"
We headed home and since most of us live in the same direction we started walking that way. On the way, we passed this cute tree which is hiding a mailbox. You actually have to duck under the tree to post mail!!
An up close look at the mailbox.
Our hodgepodge group walking home.
We had talked Danielle into hosting an Opening Ceremony party. Mark and I were the only ones to make it that long, so we headed to her place to continue the party.
Danielle's hallway
Danielle's apartment. UH uh huh! You didn't come over. What happened in Danielle's apartment .... stays in Danielle's apartment.
Next time be ready to make a night of it!!!
Boa noite!
No comments:
Post a Comment