Wednesday July 25th...
We met at the school this morning and we were shuffled to the Auditorium to meet the administrative and support staff. They also included some really nice breakfast dishes.
 |
| Front Gate (view from inside the school) |
 |
| Auditorium |
 |
| Chatting and saying Bom Dia |
 |
| Daniel setting up breakfast |
 |
| Angie |
 |
| Going around in a circle and introducing ourselves |
After introductions, we ate some more and then Angie took us on a tour of the school.
 |
| The Pre-school area |
 |
| Many renovations were done and they are finishing up |
 |
| Where the little ones eat |
 |
| The copy and supply room |
 |
| Marcello - the man in charge of copies and supplies |
 |
| Andre - the man in charge too |
 |
| We got supply lists (in Portuguese and English) |
 |
| Water cooler (Gelado for cold water) |
 |
| A hallway |
 |
| The back gym |
 |
| The newly refinished court |
 |
| Middle School Hallway - being painted and renovated |
 |
| Classroom - Joyce is organizing supplies |
 |
| Water fountain near the front entrance |
 |
| My classroom (view from the door) |
 |
| View from my classroom |
 |
| Joyce and Lilian - my lifesavers all year long! |
After the tour we met up in the computer lab and Barry (our head master) introduced the mission and vision of the school.
My camera DIED!!! So I couldn't take anymore pictures while we were at school SO SAD!!!
We were assigned groups and were given an envelope with the mission statement cut up. We were told to reassemble the statement in the correct order. We discussed, argued, and cajoled as a group. We failed. :-)
Barry put the correct version of the statement on the board for all of us to see.
We hung out there working in groups to discover a few of the expectations and policies of the school.
Then we went to lunch. Mormaii. I still didn't have a fresh battery for my camera, but someone reminded me that I could take pictures with my iPhone. I will figure out how to upload those and then update this entry.
We ate a buffet lunch at Mormaii - mainly sushi and then did a few ice breaker activities as well as some confidence building ones. Compass direction - I am a "North" as well as "Fears" and "Hopes"
It was a good day.
We headed back to school and then home from there. I switched my camera batteries out and charged the old one.
Then I went to an InterNations event. InterNations is an online group for expats. Expats are anyone living in a country other than their "home" country. I walked from SQS 403 to SQS 412 for dinner and socializing. I was fantastic. I actually met someone from Chicago who graduated from Saint Dorothy's Elem. Not while I was teaching there, but still pretty cool!! Once we figured that out, we did play the name game for a bit and many of the staff from his day were still there while I worked there.
After a few hours, I walked back home - I still needed to work the next day - and said goodbye to all. There is an InterNations event once a month.
I got home and headed to bed.
will you get breakfast at school every day?
ReplyDeleteNo, just for our first week and a few meetings. Lunch is in the canteen each day and they give us an allotment of R$11 a day. If we don't use it, it rolls over to the next month. We can also use the school card at nearby restaurants.
ReplyDeleteHey Ms. Burns, this is Yesenia...I hope you still remember me! lol
ReplyDeleteI miss you alot alot alot alot...school isnt the same. Glad to see that you are doing well...Your blog is so cute...keep it up! I'll keep stalking you! Just Kiddins :)
Love ya lots!
Thank you Yesenia. I will definitely keep it up. I started to get Thursdays ready and realized it was a super busy day. It might take me another day to get that one ready.
ReplyDelete