So my life in Brasilia has been bumping along fairly well. Nothing amazing to report but also nothing horrible to speak of so I haven't posted. It got to be some time and it just kept going by so oh well, I'll get to it this weekend. Then the weekend would arrive and the daunting task of updating you on my life for the past 3 months just seems insurmountable.
Oh well.
December 4th 2012.
It was an "F" day at school which means I taught my "F" period, then "G" period, Physics for "H" period, lunch, then "E" period. After school I worked with students until about 6pm then headed home at 7pm. Let me back up to lunch today.
During lunch, I grabbed my purse and walked down to the HSBC ATM, caixa automatica, because I needed to pay Danielle back for dinner and to get money for Maria since it is Tuesday and she will come tomorrow morning. I had attempted to get money out yesterday but they were fixing the machine. I went to the alcove and the ATM doors were open - obviously again not working. As I left for the day, I went to check one more time and the machine looked ready but it wasn't turned on. At that point, I also realized I did not have my debit card - only my credit card. Luckily, I discovered that before I biked in the other direction and realized it when I got to the store.
I headed home to check for my debit card and eat dinner while there. I took a little longer than I planned and at about 9pm headed to Pao de Sucar and the closest ATM.
They were closed. I am shocked and don't know how to have a full conversation but ask the lovely gentleman *sarcasm* blocking the door where the closest ATM is from here. He tells me it's right behind me and assures me it will take my card. Sweet, no big deal. I get into the ATM area of the bank and my card is rejected.
There are 2 women (mother and daughter) also using the space and I ask them if they know of an ATM which will take my card. Pao de Sucar is the answer. I explain (in not fantastic Portuguese) that it is closed. They begin Google searching for the closest ATMs I can use.
As they continue discussing my options, a man walks into the ATM area as well - it's a very large space and has about 20 ATMs lined up next to each other. They explain the situation to him and he begins giving multiple directions and options in very quick Portuguese. They then also explain it's for me and I only understand a little Portuguese.
He asks where I am from in English and I tell him Estados Unidos. The younger woman says, English, I could have been using English.
We spend quite a bit of time on Google with no results discovered. Then they decide to take me next door as the "Garcons," waiters, know everything about the bank options. The waiter we speak to says he doesn't know but there is a possibility of an ATM in 304/305 Sul.
![]() |
| Reminder of my life in Brasilia and where things are. I live at the star and work at the arrow. |
So I had ridden to Pao de Sucar in 207/208. The women (Louisa and Elena) asked if I had a car and I let them know I had a bike and would be ok. All 3 of them were worried about me biking over/under the Exio (bright yellow street between 200/ 100s). Elena then drove me in her car.
I was a little worried but am very glad I took her up on it. Louisa was with us and they were trying to figure out where to go once we discovered the waiter had not given us good advice. We asked someone else. They pointed us in another direction and went to another gas station which did not have an ATM. We continued driving to a 3rd gas station and no luck. As we left there we saw a Pao de Sucar and went there knowing they had a cash machine. They had Banco de Brasil and my card is not accepted there. We asked for more directions and got back in the car. We stopped at a 4th gas station and they said no but the next one over has a 24 hour ATM. We drove 2 blocks down and there it was in 306/307.
I went in to get money out and everything was great until I got to the part when the money is dispensed and the machine said -translating here - you card cannot do that at this time. It took my pin number and then after I asked for money it accepted my alphabetic password but once it got past that NOW MY CARD CANNOT DO THAT!! Freaking out a little at this point.
I try again. This time almost right away it says my card doesn't work. I CANNOT give up. These nice women have driven me around the area for over 25 minutes THIS HAS to work.
I try one more time and have NO difficulty at any point - Go figure. I take my money and leave. I hope back in the car and Elena drives me back to my bike in 207/208. I try to give them money and say thank you ALOT but they say no problem and head on their way. I biked back home and realized I have been gone almost 2 hours on this crazy adventure to get money.
WOW!!
Phone calls and then bed to start a new day tomorrow. 10 days until I fly back to the states.
Boa noite!

No comments:
Post a Comment