I am jumping quite a bit ahead - which just means I need to blog more frequently!
Sunday morning July 22nd
I woke up and went to mass at Holy Angels Church in Sandusky Ohio. Mass was fine and they had refreshments (Hospitality Sunday) afterwards so while I had told my parents and Marty we were leaving right away when the priest mentioned hospitality they all looked down the pew at me and I said fine, but NO TALKING to people we have to go!!
Church ended at 11:30, stop at the store and pick up a few things, the drive to Cleveland airport takes about an hour, check all my bags - prepaid for them Saturday night, check with TSA on a few things, then get through security. My flight left at 3:40, so I told my parents it left at 3pm to make sure I was at the airport before 2pm.
Due to issues, we left Sandusky about 12:45pm and got to the airport at 1:45.
Curbside check-in was super easy!!! Other than the attendant not being sure about the weight limit for international flying. He kept trying to tell me it was only 58 pounds and only 2 of my bags were under that. I had to keep reminding him I was able to take 70 pounds as even my connection to Atlanta counted as international since my final destination was Brasil. It was completely good and took maybe 20 minutes to get my luggage (6 pieces) weighed, tagged, and loaded. I even stopped a TSA person and asked them a few questions about my packing and luggage.
I said goodbye to Marty and Katy then checked in again at the main ticket counter - I had to prove I had a visa to get in oh yes I have that!!! That was very quick and the agent even put stickers on my two carryons noting they were ok as carryons - that was a concern of mine as I felt one was close (over) the limit and didn't want to pay to have it checked.
I said goodbye to my parents and then went through security. It was quick and easy and I did not get searched. YAY!!
I headed to my gate to sit and wait.
"I left my glasses in Sandusky!!! " I was going through my bags checking to make sure I had everything and realized I should take my contacts out now to make it easier later. I can't do that because I couldn't find my eyeglass case which is where my contact case is also located. Seriously!?? However, if that's the only thing that goes wrong I can definitely handle it. I called my mom and asked her to check for me - they were driving the hour back to Sandusky.
As this awareness was happening, Delta was making an announcement about the amount of baggage on our flight. They said they were predicting we would need more space for carry-ons so anyone willing could come to the counter and have their bag checked all the way to their final destination. I didn't move at first as I had checked 6 bags already, but then I figured if they are going to check it for free and I don't have to lug it around it's at least worth asking. I take my stuff up to the counter and inform they agent that I am willing but I am on an international connection. She scans my boarding pass and says let's see if it goes through. Her handy dandy handheld computer printed a luggage receipt for Brasilia and I was carting around one less bag! Sweet.
I had signed up for a Delta AMEX a month or so ago as Delta is the only airline with direct flights in and out of Brasilia to the US. It also gives me Priority boarding on any flights. I was able to board and be seated before everyone blocked the aisles. Nice perk as well as the reward miles.
Very quick flight from Cleveland to Atlanta. We left 30 minutes late and arrived 10 minutes early - still not sure how that happened.
I wandered - with just my computer bag - to the international terminal, checked out the departure gate, then headed to the restaurant to meet up with other "Newbies"
Dinner started with Ashleigh, Clarissa, and I. Kristi joined us when she got in and then Sue joined us about 15 minutes before our flight started boarding which is an hour before it actually takes off.
We talked in person finally and discussed all the things we were worried about for Brasilia and what we thought the new few days, weeks, years would be like.
We boarded the plane for Brasilia. I had priority boarding again, but was making a few last minute goodbye phone calls so I was about the last person to actually board the plane - they actually called my name as they were scanning my passport because I still wasn't on - go figure right!!
I was in a middle seat and I hadn't wanted to switch before because I figured I would be sitting next to a future colleague. I wasn't. A nice gentlemen named Dallas was sitting next to me and as no one else boarded, we realized we may have lucked out because no one was sitting next to me at the window. We waited a few minutes and then I jumped over and we spread out! A 9 hour flight and I get the window and am not sitting next to anyone - perfect!!
The flight was perfectly uneventful. I had chicken for dinner, watched A Thousand Words, started watching Hunger Games, took a nap, had an egg sandwich for breakfast, continued watching Hunger Games, and then packed up my stuff and got my passport ready!
No comments:
Post a Comment