I have been talking to the other Newbies (the new staff starting at EAB this coming year). They are 8 of us total at this point.
We have been comparing notes of what we are doing with our lives, how far we have progressed in the visa process (or the lack of progress), the staff at EAB we have spoken with, and what to start expecting for the next 2 years. Last year's Newbies also sent us a "Newbies Guide" so we were also talking about that and going over all the info they gave and what we should avoid.
May seemed to fly by.
I was able to let the teachers I work with know I would not be returning next year. Being able to tell them helped a lot. I felt bad when we would talk about plans for classes next year and I wasn't able to let them know I wouldn't be there.
At the end of May, I told my students I would not be returning. That was difficult, but they were great and so many were excited for me. It seemed to be harder for some of the parents.
After the hurtle of telling my students, I was feeling pretty good and ready to go.
![]() |
| How I felt when I needed to get transcripts |
Please reference the "Legalization blog".
I CANNOT go through that again!! -
Oh well, it must be done.
- I called my principal and asked if I could leave during my "prep" period on Monday and go to Saint Xavier to pick up transcripts. She said yes.
- I called SXU and left a message letting them know what I was hoping to do - pick up official transcripts the same day I request them. I printed off the request form and filled it out.
- I realized even if I take time on Monday to go to SXU, I couldn't take more time to go through the legalization process again.
- I called Dan Ferrario, good friend and husband to Kate Ferrario (old roommate), and asked him - as he works across from the Brazilian Consulate in Chicago - if he would be willing to take my documentation to 17 N State Street to get it authenticated and then to the consulate and have it legalized. He said of course. Could have kissed him!!!
Monday, I left school and called SXU on my way. They told me I could request transcripts today but even the rushed request takes 3 days. I said I really need them today and explained about working with 2 governments and the documentation process. She transferred me to a supervisor. She explained it would be the rushed fee and we could go over a few additional things when I got there. I said my effusive thanks and then also asked her about needing an official stamp on the forms. She said oh it's great you brought that up, I will have the Official Registrant do that before you get here. I added even more effusive thanks.
Dan and I at his wedding - Picked up the transcripts. Made it back to school just over an hour.
- After school, I went and had the transcripts notarized and picked up the USPS Money Orders - in many denominations.
- I wasn't able to meet Dan Monday night, so Tuesday night I picked Dan up from work and drove him home. On the way to his place we went over all the things and places he would need to go and how the consulate process worked.
- Kate, Dan, and I hung out at their place for awhile and then went to dinner and ice cream.
- Dan called me at 8:40am to let me know he had completed the authentication process and was heading to the consulate to get the documents authenticated.
- Dan called me at 9:12 to let me know the legalization process was under way and the lady at the counter had asked him about the notary authentication and if I wanted to keep it attached to my transcripts - before he could answer she added - it's $5 but if we keep this attached it's $20. Dan asked if the document can be legalized without it. She said yes and ripped it off.
- At 9:35, Dan called me to let me know he had everything done and he was heading to work. He let me know how easy he felt this process was. I could have kicked him. However, I was sooo grateful there had been no issues and everything did go smoothly I just told him to enjoy quiet training.
- I left work and picked up a friend to go to Faith Sharing, so Nick and I stopped by Dan's work to pick up my documents.
- Went to Faith Sharing at Colleen's house and left just before 9pm to get to FedEx to mail everything off.
- FedExed the documents, emailed the school, and I added a note about an estimate of when our visas would be approved as my visa was going to be sent to the Brazilian Consulate in Chicago and I was only going to be living here for 3 more weeks.
- Cautiously and optimistically said PHEW!! now everything is ready.
- Received an email from HR that said they fully expected the visa approval and process to be approved and complete before the end of June.


No comments:
Post a Comment